4000bce - 399
400 - 1399
1400 - 1499
1500 - 1599
1600 - 1699
1700 - 1799
1800 - 1899
1900 - 1999
PETROGRAD, January 1, 1918, 8 p. m.
[Received January 3, 2.19 a.m.]
(1) As a claim that if general peace not concluded it will be fault of Allies for not participating in negotiations when resumed.
(2) That if Allies do participate two annexation policies will be submitted: one designated " imperialistic " or " capitalistic," which submits by plebiscite to people only of territories captured in present war their self-disposition; the other designated " socialistic democratic," based on limitation not [only to] conquered countries or [but also] peoples in involuntary subjection. Submits self-disposition to Alsace-Lorraine, Ireland, Madagascar, etc.
(3) Address avoids subjects of restitution or reparation or compensation for insults, wilful and inhuman damage inflicted.
(4) Address implies or explicitly states that separate peace is foregone conclusion meaning German terms be accepted with socialistic or democratic [modifications] if obtainable.
(5) That in event of either separate or general peace social revolution throughout the world will be aggressively prosecuted by proletariat of all countries and internationalism will be persistently advocated.
Question of economic boycott after war necessarily deferred till general peace but my understanding is that we oppose such policy.
We should do all possible in the event of separate peace to persuade Russia to adopt policy of benevolent neutrality.
Continuation of war with its horrors and sacrifices should be avoided if possible with honor but in my opinion general peace now would be war victory for Germany. Furthermore it will prove advantageous, followed by a war of conquest within [sic]. Germany meanwhile would gain such a foothold in Russia as to become almost invincible. German methods, German system would so utilize Russia's vast resources and so organize Russia's man-power as to become the strongest force in commerce and war the world has ever known. Already Germans are beginning organization here. Germany is now enervated by three and a half years of war and if permitted to recuperate will never be so weak again.