4000bce - 399
400 - 1399
1400 - 1499
1500 - 1599
1600 - 1699
1700 - 1799
1800 - 1899
1900 - 1999
On the basis of Articles 1 and 8 of the Law on the Secret State Police of the 10 February 1936 (Prussian Legal Gazette, page 21) is decreed:
The Gestapo is authorized to carry out the police investigations in high treason, treason and explosive cases, as well as other punishable aggressive actions against Party and State.
(1) In the proper competence of the Secret State Police, the Secret State Police Bureau is authorized to undertake measures in the entire territory of Prussia and measures effective for the entire territory.
(2) The Secret State Police Bureau assumes the competence of the Supreme Federal State Authorities in cases of the Law on guns and munitions of the 13 July 1928 (Reichs Legal Gazette I, page 198).
(3) The Secret State Police Bureau is a central collecting agency for political police information.
(4) The Secret State Police Bureau administers the state concentration camps.
(5) In Berlin the Secret State Police Bureau assumes the competence of the Secret State Police for the Federal-State-County and local police affairs. Whether, and to what extent these tasks will be transferred to the State Police office in Berlin-will be determined by the Chief of the Secret State Police.
The State Police offices may, within the framework of the competence of the Secret State Police, take all the measures incumbent upon the Secret State Police with the exception of the prohibition of periodicals in their district.
(1) Insofar as it is necessary for the detection and fighting of aspirations which are directed against the State, the authorities of the county and local police in towns of more than 5000 inhabitants may decree the confiscation of printed material and restrictions regarding the rights of association and assembly for the support of the Secret State Police. The county and local police authorities have to obey within this realm the instructions of the responsible office of the State Police.
(2) The State Police office at its location executes also the functions of the local police within the framework of responsibility of the Secret State Police.
The Secret State Police is an independent branch of the interior administration. Its officials, employees and paid personnel belong to the interior administration. Its highest superior is the Chief of the Secret State Police.
The head of the Secret State Police office will represent the Deputy Chief of the Secret State Police in all official business functions.
The Secret State Police office may, within the framework of responsibility resting upon the Secret State Police, make requests to the heads of provincial and county governments [Ober-und Regierungspraesidenten], as well as to all police agencies. The heads of the provincial and county governments have to obey the instructions of the Secret State Police office with respect to affairs concerning the Secret State Police.
(1) The State Police offices are located at the seat of the government. The chief of the Secret State Police can, in agreement with the Minister of Interior, make exceptions from this principle.
(2) An index of the State Police offices is added in the appendix.
(1) The heads of the State Police offices and political specialists [Sachbearbeiter] of the provincial governors will be determined by the Chief of the Secret State Police in agreement with the Minister of the Interior.
(2) In case the head of the State Police Office is prevented from doing so, the functions of the political specialist of the provincial governor will be taken care of by the official who is destined as permanent deputy of the head of the State Police Office. He will be designated by the Chief of the Secret State Police in agreement with the Minister of Interior.
The State Police offices may make their requests to all police authorities of their district. In counties, the request has, as a matter of principle to be directed to the County Governor [Landrat]; in the urgent cases it will suffice to inform the County Council. The reports of the authorities subordinated to the County Governor have to be sent to the State Police offices through the County Council; in urgent cases it will suffice to inform the County Council at the same time.
The authorities of the County Police have to report directly to the responsible state police office on all important political occurrences and observations.
Insofar as officials of the Secret State Police within the framework of the authority of the Secret State Police, take over the tasks incumbent upon the authorities and officials of the police-and security services according to the regulations of the code for criminal proceedings, they are acting as auxiliary officials of the Chief Prosecutor of the Reich [Oberreichsanwalt] or of the State Prosecutor for the District Court [Oberstaatsanwalt] who is locally responsible.
The Chief of the Secret State Police disposes of the funds set aside for the Secret State Police in the budget of the interior administration.
The Ministerialblatt of the Reich-and Prussian Ministry of the Interior is the official gazette for the Chief and Deputy Chief of the Secret State Police.
This decree will be effective on the day after its publication.Berlin, 10 February 1936
Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression Volume IV
Office of the United States Chief Counsel for Prosecution of Axis Criminality
Washington, DC : United States Government Printing Office, 1946